Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Soddy Life 4.23.13


Today in class we experienced the life of living in a Soddy. We experienced how it smelt and how we would have to live in the very congested area. We also found out how taking pictures back then was very different than it is now. Starting with the smell of Soddy, it’s really not that bad it’s actually a refreshing and relaxing nature like smell, I could definitely get used to it. Trying to live in a Soddy would be very challenging because there is almost no room for anything. Depending on how big your family is you would have to divide up the space for sleeping and a small area to cook and stay warm during the bitter cold winters. Taking picture back then was rare so people didn't really smile out of respect. It was also challenging to take a picture back then because you would have to stay still for a long period of time until the picture was taken.

1) My overall impression of living in a Soddy is that it would certainly be a change of lifestyle from the way I live today. Everyday tasks would become very difficult if I had to live in a Soddy. Imagine living without electricity in the world we live in today. I certainly wouldn't be able to be typing this right now and writing would be very difficult in the dark. I think living in a Soddy would be much more challenging than most people think because they are so used to having things handed to them.

2) I don’t think I would last too long living in a Soddy, maybe a few weeks tops. I think after a week or two I would just become crazy without being able to do the everyday things I do today. I like having my own space, and most likely I wouldn't have a lot of that in a Soddy.

3) If I had to choose from life in the city or the Great Plains I would choose the Great Plains. If I had chosen the city I would risk my safety in all terms. The city is nothing but dirty and stressful I would also struggle with money.  Life in the Great Plains would be much simpler even if I had to work to sustain my family and I. 

No comments:

Post a Comment